ART BLOG: SMALL IN JAPAN

I thought it was time for an arty update, as Mindfulness Meditation has not been the only activity in the Elephant House over recent weeks. In fact I have been drawing, sewing and creating ideas from bed, not to mention watching documentaries about artists for inspiration.


To me, creativity is why pencils, felt tips and paper were invented, so, it would be fair to say that I am slightly resistant to trying new materials.

 I am not exactly blessed with the gift of being a good crafter, being naturally imprecise, and somewhat clumsy. I can assure you that I am not being unduly modest here. During my year on an art foundation course, I received some of the lowest marks for 3D design out of over 100 students. On my degree course, a large ceramic I made, was described by my tutor as "Looking like an elephant turd." 


 
 
BUT...It was  after being given an origami kit, that I was introduced me to the delights of Japanese papers. They are cheap and colourful, and each pack of 20 pieces provides a tonne of colour and shape inspiration.



These little squares of paper have quite stolen my heart, and to my ( huge) surprise, my current project is a picture in mixed media!! The colours and patterns are joyful, and I am loving the challenge of working with so many assorted patterns and shapes. Chuck gold cord into the mix, and I bet you are wondering how the heck the finished piece is going to look. And I am wondering the same!

Whatever the result, I am having fun and trying something I've not tried before...and with no snarky tutors on hand to rain on my parade.

So if you have a curiosity to try something new, give it a go- you have nothing to lose, and lots of joy to gain.


 
 
THANK YOU FOR READING AND SUPPORTING THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT! 
 
 



Comments