Calling Hercules Poirot, And A Shocking Revelation!




As somebody brainy once said: 'The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry.' Or to put it another way:  If you make a plan, a spanner might well be heading your way.







Well, for the inhabitants here at the elephant house, it was long L-O-N-G Summer of one plan after another being blasted apart by a riptide of circumstances.Surfing the heatwave, whilst worrying about delayed test results, was not the Summer I had been spent Winter looking forward to! 
Life felt distressingly chaotic. …..and then one man made me feel as if everything was GOING TO BE ALRIGHT...!   





Before I wax- lyrical about David Suchet, I have a revelation that not even some of my online friends know...

Ready?! Ok- we don't have a tv in our house!!  

I should explain, we are not those virtuous folk who 'Never watch television unless it's David Attenborough,'  We both watch quite a bit on our laptops individually, and some together.

Anyhow... an episode of a boxset is something that always lifts my spirits...so it was with joy, that I used the excuse of rubbish health, to buy 57 episodes of Poirot...and have been watching them intensively, and repeatedly, ever since... 

Having read most of Agatha Christie's books as a kid, and enjoyed some of the films, I had watched some of 'Agatha Christie's Poirot' when it was made.

 The series was on for so many years, some of the guest actors, who had played young parts in the first series or so, returned many years later to play different, older characters!
The first series aired in 1989, when I was a skinny art student, and the final episode was shown in 2013, (by which time life had broadened both my hips and experience!). Poirot and I have grown up together.




It is easy to see why I love the period details, the clothes, the colour and glamour of settings like Egypt or Messopotamia, and of course David Suchet is absolutely wonderful as Poirot, but that does not entirely explain my adoration of these episodes. 

In the nearly 30 years since I was first diagnosed there has been minimal progress in medical terms. Sufferers like myself, live with the knowledge of an uncertain future. At the time of writing, there is not only no cure for ME, but no treatment that is effective in improving it.  
 
This is a hard prognosis- somebody- ANYBODY needs to find the Bio-marker that defines what ME is. And from that point there needs to be relentless investigation to find the treatments we need. At the time of writing this research is patchy and severely underfunded. 
 
Calling Hercules Poirot- ME needs you!!!

Poirot is brilliant, very kind and doesn't stop until a problem is solved calmly and methodically. His mind is a creative space that can think in ways that the majority of us can't. He is also forensic in evidence gathering to prove his theories. Oh for the certainty contained in an episode of Poirot!

 

Bob, Poirot's doggie companion in 'Dumb Witness. 'The dog helps to solve the case by giving Poirot clues(!)

Until the day that there are concrete possibilities of substantial and life-enhancing treatments, like so many of you, I am left trying to maintain as much positivity as possible, whilst managing my symptoms, (and to give into tears and self-pity when I need to...)


Things that make me feel good about life,and exercise my smile muscles are my daily medicine...So thank you to Agatha Christie, David Suchet and everyone who created this timeless programme. You have made an old woman very happy!


Thanks so much for reading and sharing this Blog!






Comments