5 (GOOD) SURPRISES AT THE ELEPHANT HOUSE

My apologies for it being an age since we last did the Blog thing together. My words over the last couple of months would have been being small, useless...and it just wasn't the time for my usual brand of 'First- World Problems' moaning! 

Now, I am back at my keyboard,( having washed my hands), and promised myself not to mention any of the following: sourdough starter, mask construction, acts of kindness/bravery, #Blessed, Dominic Cummings, Banana- Bread, my flare-up(s), oat flour, egg shortages, and lies and damn statistics...
So we finally arrive at this Blog!

Britain went loo-roll mad, then baking-mad. There were acts of kindness that brought tears to my eyes, and depressing acts of selfishness that made me want to club myself unconscious with a hard-won tin of pineapple. A high spot of lockdown for me, was settling down with Mr Elephant and watching the SpaceX shuttle take off. There is nothing like seeing our Earth from space, to make you realise, that as fractured and broken as it often feels, it is in fact, one beautiful entity. :-)

Along with all the crap stuff and stress, I have made some good discoveries during the last few months, and here are 5 I'd like to share with you:

1. The Virtual Egyptian Gallery!
There are some fantastic 'tours' of museums online. Some of these are photos and text...and in some you can actually 'walk around', via your touch screen or mouse pad ( a novelty for those of us who last  'walked around' a museum some years ago. I have really been enjoying The British Museums Egyptian Gallery, Atrium etc, and I also drew some of the exhibits (!).Be still my beating heart...and thank you Google Maps! The British Museum- The Egyptian Gallery
There will, (quite rightly), come a time when much of the collection will be repatriated to the countries from which it was plundered. It is good to know that as museums and galleries adapt to the new normal, virtual 'visits' continue to be possible.




2. Bardcore.
Yes, I hadn't heard of it either! Bardcore is a form of music that flourished during lockdown. With musicians out of work, some who specialize in medieval music turned to their Youtube Channels. Performing 'Medieval-ized' versions of rock classics, they have rendered them a much more relaxing listen in the process. The whole thing has got quite the cult-following, and has surprised its audience with a completely new sound.
Queen's Stadium Anthem played on lutes etc.


Radiohead's dark CREEP made even more intriguing by Medieval style vocals.


 A Medieval-style rendering of The Beatles' BLACKBIRD- complete with actual Blackbirds (!)

3. Sanity Breaks.
Sanity.    Over the last 3 months.    Not so much!
Lockdown, and the continuing stress of the pandemic, has left many of us taking up worrying as an Olympic sport. Anxiety, stress...and other fun stuff, has left many people Googling ' How To Pray?,' or brushing up on Breathing techniques whilst simultaneously inhaling Oreos and glugging G&T.
For me two resources have been my 'go-to' when I have been having a really crappy day. 
If you are still stuck at home, and in need of some practical pointers about structuring the day, then you might like to look at:
alonetogether.org. Alone Together was started by Jesuit Abbot Christopher Jameson. He has produced a series of short films to help bring structure to the day, and comfort to folk stuck at home. In theory this is something I SHOULD be an expert at, having spent years of my life largely disabled/often in bed. In reality, I have REALLY needed these resources on a number of occasions. 
(BTW: There is also a really good film on how to pray for complete beginners.)

https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
Ten Per Cent Happier has been one of my favourite meditation websites for a couple of years. The approach is much more pragmatic and less spiritual than my own, but I have found the resources really useful. 
Throughout lockdown there were live 5 minute meditations with founder Dan Harris ( ABC newsman), and a guest expert. Topics covered how to manage social media, dealing with anger, fear, and loss of control. The site has a designated page for 'virus-support', as well as an app and a weekly podcast. 


4. Life Drawing in Lockdown.
The last time I did life drawing regularly, I had hot pants and a pull-on mini skirt in my wardrobe! Yup- almost 30 years ago, so I was delighted to find both of these resources! For 28 days worth, daily 15 minutes of intensive life drawing poses ( usually 3x 1 min poses, 2x 2 min poses, and a 5 min pose.)
I have hugely enjoyed the challenge of doing this on days when I can, and my drawing is slowly improving.
Figuary 2019, and 2020 are available, with parallel Love Life Drawing videos giving hints and tips on coping with drawing the poses.
FIGUARY 2020
Love Life Drawing





5. The comfort of an All Day Breakfast.
So we come to the 'elephant in the room'! Why do I have a picture of a vegetarian cooked breakfast heading this Blog?! Well, in April, we decided that to celebrate getting through another week, we would reward ourselves with a delicious home cooked breakfast- to be eaten as our evening meal. This comforting mix of eggs, baked beans, veggie sausages and hash browns is happiness on a plate for me- and happiness should always become a habit! :-)
**********************************
I hope some of that was helpful/interesting for some of you. If you are having a bad day-keep going step by step, and keep looking out for the colours when it feels dark.

THANK YOU FOR READING AND SHARING THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT POSTS.

Comments