DATING DISASTERS...AND 5 DATES WITH MYSELF.



It has been some years since I last went on a date, and from what I can remember of my poor decision making as far as date partners went, I was rather horrendous at it. Seriously awful dates included; my date turning up on a skateboard ( I was 36 at the time); literally sitting in a pool of bum sweat during an overcooked Milan, my date bringing 2 mates with him; on another occasion, me not realising it was a date and bringing a friend; and another date refusing to purchase anything but tap water during a trip to the V & A café! Yes, I was a danger to myself, and am most thankfully off the market.


I had far more success in taking myself on some great dates, and, I has some wonderful trips to cafes, restaurants and cities either alone or with wonderful friends. Now my wings are clipped, and it is almost impossible to schedule "dates" due to our combined health problems. Any time doing anything with other people is so precious..

In the last few weeks I have been on  5 ''dates'...with myself! No, I have not (completely) lost the plot- it is part of a creativity course I have started:  THE ARTISTS WAY

Yes, it is that time of year where ennui, dreadful weather, and equally dreadful health, drives me to 'learn something new'.  Last year, I learnt Mindfulness Meditation from Breathworks, (which has turned out to be the best £50 I ever spent.)This years financial outlay is minimal, as I already have the course book. 

The course was invented by a writer, poet and film maker, and is a person development course to release your creativity. This is very much about 'creativity' in terms of thinking and how you live and enjoy your life, rather than being a course for people who class themselves as 'artists'. I have done some of the course before, and have always been amazed at how much I have benefited from it.

The book has 12 chapters, and I am doing a chapter roughly every 10 days- 2 weeks. There are a few pages to read and think about, some written tasks to do, and an Artists Date to go on.

The purpose of the 'Artist's Date' is to take yourself out of your comfort zone, and into somewhere to make you think/ excite your senses/provide inspiration, or all of those. Playing and not taking yourself too seriously are key.Suggestions in the book are things like going to an old fashioned sweet shop or fabric store, to go sledging, or to the zoo. You have to go alone- no along-siders.

As I am currently visible outdoors as rarely as the British sun, it has been tricky finding things that fit the bill....but I have approached it with a playful attitude, and so far, it has been a lot of fun.

DATE ONE: (Watching a film about something I'm not interested in.) Borg v. Mcenroe  
Result: I suprise myself by being very interested in this drama about the Wimbledon Tennis finals in 1980. I used to watch tennis a lot as a child and I had completely forgotten I had watched this match ( it is the one where McEnroe loses his temper with the linesman re whether the ball was on the line or not). This drama is gripping and I felt inspired by how much stamina and persistence these top sportsmen had needed to get this far.

DATE TWO: .A 'binocular safari' around my bedroom.
Result: This was in the middle of a series of migraines, and I had to have the room dim, but it was certainly a way of looking at things differently and noticing a lot of different surfaces and textures.


DATE THREE: Making some Origami. I have made a few Origami storks in the past...but this was REALLY HARD! I am not sure what happened, but I ended up with a very crumpled piece of paper. It was absorbing, but also frustrating.
Result: My whale looks as if it has washed up on a beach in need of medical attention!



DATE FOUR: Growing something easily when I don't have physical energy or a garden.
Result: My first batch of mustard and cress died when the temperature dropped and they froze their tiny backsides off, and collapsed. Batch two, kind of worked, and I was amazed at just how peppery the taste is! I am persisting...and also considering the possibilities of growing micro-greens.





DATE FIVE: Making primary school butterfly pictures.
Result: Loved it! Dobbed the paint straight out of the tubes, and found some new colour combinations.



My next 'date' is going to address my frustration at not being allowed to have ballet lessons as a little girl....I am not quite sure HOW, but it is going to be fun finding out! It turns out that even when you are stuck in bed, you can have new adventures.


THANK YOU FOR READING AND ENJOYING THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT. 

Comments