Gratefulness And Dancing As If Your Body Can.





Hello and a belated Happy New Year (and Decade)!

 Here in the Northern hemisphere it is a grey Winter, and despite the warmer than usual temperatures,( and the confused wildlife!), my body is playing up like an over- caffeinated toddler...and whatever I do, it is NOT happy !  





Just like a toddler, I want treats, I NEED treats, and days, and weeks and months and years of 'being sensible' can really make me feel like a 'grown up'.. and not in a good way. What happened to the plan I made, when I was 8, that when I grew up I would stay up as late as I like, eat pizza, and paint in my attic in Paris?! ( I REALLY can't do without sleep these days, both gluten and dairy make me ill, and I can't travel, or climb stairs!)

I imagine many of you are also trying to placate and soothe a flare-up. It is tough to start a new year, when every email and advert and invitation, seems to be asking you to do things that you just aren't able to do- train for a marathon for an asthma charity? Go on an Action For Climate Change march? Go out for tea at a café? Have visitors?
Er...that will be a "NO" then.


Ok, so far, so moany! I imagine many of you are feeling similarly daunted by 2020, so ( without breaking into song, as I don't want to inflict suffering)," These are a few of my favourite things,"

I have not been able to watch much telly over Christmas so I have been listening to a lot of Poirot  and Miss Marple radio plays on YouTube. These are BBC productions and are really absorbing, and well, can anyone really have too much Poirot. No question mark needed!




It has been a lifelong regret of mine that I have never had dancing lessons, and now it is possible that I never will. However that does not stop me from loving to watch dance, particularly when done in groups. When I get absorbed in a dance video, I am taken to a happy place where my heart feels as if I am dancing too! I spotted this video a while ago, and I find it literally impossible to watch without breaking into a  smile. Perfect choreography, perfect music choices. You're welcome! :-)



This has been my other overplayed video since it debuted. Again, perfect synchronicity and a wonderful male dancer in heels.  Enjoy!




So, from brilliant choreography to a very groovy website indeed. I discovered this site some years and have popped in and out since. The site was started by a Benedictine Monk, Br. David who started it as an online sanctuary  https://gratefulness.org/explore/new-to-gratefulness/

"Grateful living is a way of life which asks us to notice all that is already present and abundant – from the tiniest things of beauty to the grandest of our blessings – and in so doing, to take nothing for granted.
... Small, grateful acts every day can uplift us, make a difference for others, and help change the world."
The site has many wonderful features including a global forum to discuss the 'Question of the day', you can send 'e gratitude cards', you can keep a private online Gratitude Diary, AND... you can light a virtual candle for someone, and it will flicker away in the corner of your screen. You could even make it the focus of a meditation. Do investigate.


I have also continued my addiction to Podcasts, and I have discovered a few newbies that will be available on your favourite platform:
EVIL GENIUS - Russell Kane and comedian friends decide whether icons of the past (e.g. Queen Victoria, Gandhi, Amy Winehouse, etc), are 'Evil' or 'Genius'. Rude, sweary, informative and funny.
FORTUNATELY WITH FI AND JANE Two of our finest radio presenters have small and big talk about life and broadcasting. Funny!
OUT TO LUNCH WITH JAY RAYNER Food critic Jay takes a celebrity out to lunch at a restaurant, and the talk flows with the wine. Kathy Burke and Richard E.Grant are highlights.HOW TO FAIL WITH ELIZABETH DAY A long thoughtful 1:1 interview talking about what the guest has learnt from their failures. Very insightful, and encouraging. Guests include Malcolm Gladwell, Lemm Sissay, Andrew Scott, and Alain de Botton. 
AN HOUR OR SO WITH SUE PERKINS- a longform interview, with the Bake Off comedienne chatting to a friend, and she is a very gentle and thoughtful interviewer. Interviews include Paul Feig and Mary Berry. The time just flies.

AND...not forgetting some belly laughs from Humberside policeman turned comedian Alfie Moore. IT'S A FAIR COP. Moore swears the audience as police officers for the duration of the show, and takes us through one of his real-life, cases. Very, very funny.

So, having given you the 'Swiss Army Knife,' of how to cheer yourself up, it is time to crack on with 2020. Buckle up for another year at The Elephant House, featuring Life, Art, and of course, a lot of ME!

'Miranda' -someone else who has been a tonic in the last few weeks. Episodes available on Netflix and  BBC Iplayer.







THANK YOU FOR READING, SUPPORTING AND SHARING THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT!
















Comments