ANARCHY IN THE UK....or is it?!

HELLO. BONJOUR. HOLA.  HALLO. CIAO. OLÀ. NAMASTE. SALAAM . ZDRAS-TVUY-TE . OHAYO . AHN-YOUNG-HA-SE-YO. MERHABA. SAIN BAINUU. SALEMETSIZ BE.SZIA. MARHABA. SANNU. JAMBO. NI HAU . NAY HOH. HALO...and my thanks to you and my lovely Guest Bloggers, for supporting THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT. About a month ago we exceeded 10,000 views since the start of the Blog.
 
 
 
 
Now where was I...?
 
Without blowing my own trunk, I would have to say that I have quite good self-discipline when it comes to not eating things that are bad for me, ( although the fact that most treats give me pain and/or worse symptoms is very motivating!), but there is one thing I struggle with giving up: tea.
 
Yup, I am British, and trying to get through the day when you are  of my motherland, without 'the cup that cheers', is like trying to get through Bake Off without a snack in your hand.  Today I was chilled by the bitter wind of self- knowledge: the reason I can't seem to give up on tea and coffee...is that I don't want to. TA DAH!
 
 
 
...And herbal teas! REALLY?!!
 
I once tried to explain the importance of tea in our culture, to a Slovenian. I illustrated this by saying that someone will automatically go and make you tea with lots of sugar, in the event of any of the following:
  • Good news
  • Bad news
  • Bereavements
  • Accidents
 " What do you give someone in Slovenia if someone has had bad news and you are trying to comfort them?"  I asked. He looked at me as if I was mad:
"Vodka of course."
 
 
 

Chocolate I can live without, but I can't eat Gluten, drink alcohol, or have high fat food or curry. I can't have many kinds of carbs, or potato chips, pizza, or jelly or pies or cakes. Fruit juice is off the menu, as are many fruits, dried fruits, and most soya products. If it stopped there I would be happy, but in addition I am allergic to most GF breads, cakes, crackers etc.
 
 
 
 
Other than the occasional naughty biscuit, clinging on to my tea mug feels like the last line of resistance...or maybe just the confirmation that however hard you try, nobody is perfect. :-)
 
 The state of the nation here at the Elephant House, is that I am awaiting delivery of a sample pack of MATCHA tea- I am working on the basis that as I am going to have caffeine it might as well be stuffed full of anti-oxidants....but let's be honest, I think some 'builders tea'* will be going down the hatch as well.
 
This is a stressful time for the U.K and going tea-less as well as Europe-less is not something I want to contemplate. The Matcha is on the way. Watch this space!
 
 TEA VOCABULARY FOR NON ANGLO-SAXONS:
'Builders' tea' - very strong dark tea with a splash of milk.
'British Rail tea'- as above. This term is inspired by the terrible tea available on trains when I was a kid.
Both of the above generically refer to standard ( not herbal) tea.
 
'Afternoon tea'- a tradition usually only revived on special occasions, e.g. tea at the Ritz Hotel. Usually scones, triangle sandwiches ( sarnies), with a variety of cakes and pastries.
'High Tea'- this refers to more of a meal in the late afternoon with cups of tea, including some hot  savoury food.
'
 
 THANK YOU FOR READING, SHARING AND SUPPORTING THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT BLOG.


Comments