COELIAC GLUTEN CHALLENGE- SPECS & DRUGS, AND FYBOGEL


I am, as the title of this Blog suggests, somewhat 'challenged' at the moment.
 

I have to eat Gluten for 6 weeks, when I will have a blood test to test if I have Coeliac Disease ( the test shows how my body reacts to ongoing gluten intake)...and my body absolutely hates the stuff.
 My body feels about Gluten as I do about the current UK benefit system. Both make me sick!!

My initial excitement at being able to eat things I can't normally think about consuming, ebbed away remarkably fast after my first few days. I tried to rally some enthusiasm for a tasty blueberry muffin...but really guys, how much fun is anything when you know it is going to make you ill?!


I will not dwell on what goes on behind my locked bathroom door, as, for the sake of my dignity, that needs to remain a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Suffice to say that my digestive system is not happy!


 My skin is bad, my appetite all over the place, reflux acid in my throat, and my energy has plummeted. Pain has broken through nights and early mornings and I am toting what looks like a beer belly ( or a tiny baby elephant), but I suspect is merely the container of one heck of a bloated fatberg.

To some extent I was expecting these things, but two symptoms have really thrown me a curveball.

I remember at my primary school being secretly impressed by those vile little boys who could burp words or the  whole alphabet. Now, I am a belching machine. I can barely make it through a couple of words without gas blasting out of my mouth. CLASSY! I feel like an airship, and look like a Tellytubby- I kid you not.

I was also not expecting the Depression that has descended as if a blanket that was thrown over my head around 10 days after I started this madness. Good grief- I had no idea of how much not having gluten was contributing to my overall health. It can be hard to know what is making a difference, when your default setting is 'very poorly'.


During this time life has continued, and despite nearly passing out at the opticians ( REALLY embarrassingly!), and twice in the kitchen at home, I am relieved to have only needed new varifocals, and not a trip to A and E!!!

Bread- you have a lot to answer for...

UPDATE: At the time of posting, I have had the blood test and must now wait 'at least 3 weeks' for the results. I have decided to go back to Gluten Free in the meantime, much to the relief of Mr Hellyphant, who has been living with someone who seems like they have drunk 'crazy-juice', for the past couple of months.

As for the results- watch this space. The future is always an unknown, but one thing is for certain: I will NOT be eating Gluten!

Comments