THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT'S SURVIVAL GUIDE TO ' FLARE- UP' DAYS


 I am flared-up and it SUCKS!!!
...which is appropriate to the subject of this Blog, which I wrote in 2018. ENJOY!


Yup, there is no way around it- Your symptoms are much worse, you're miserable, lonely, in horrible pain and are stuck in bed, and nothing is helping. It is like something that an elephant produced and you just stepped in it...
How are you going to cope?!
 
I overdid it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!
Flare-ups are common denominators to all chronic conditions, and can pull the rug out from under you at any given time. They can happen because you have been running on empty, have been out and had fun, OR...  for a variety of reasons that are nothing to do with you: noise, viruses or colds, acute health situations, changing weather or temperature, bereavements, financial stress, family stresses, applying for benefits, hospital appointments, hormones...or just for no apparent reason at all (!)…

STEP AWAY FROM THE BIG STUFF!.
Exhaustion and illness are guaranteed to bring emotions to the surface, AND don't forget that your emotions going crackers, could be a symptom of an overwrought nervous system). Bizarrely your brain may choose this time as an ideal time to work on the problem of curing your chronic health,j sorting out your finances, discussing your relationships, worrying about World politics, or finally getting that cupboard cleared out.
Step away from problems-this is not the time!

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
You are flared-up and you don't want to be!!! Grief and anger might be making you feel mentally overwhelmed. I find my depression and anxiety also flare-up, ( 'Why did I do so much yesterday/last week? Why am I so stupid- it's all my fault!!')
Leave the 'F.U' Autopsy until you feel considerably better.



Migraines: as much fun as pain, nausea and sight disturbance can be!
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO STOP THINGS GETTING WORSE?
  1. Cut right back on activity and get as much rest as possible.
  2. Manage your mental health.
  3. CONTINUE WITH ALL YOUR DAILY MEDICATION AND DIET ROUTINES. If you take pain/sleep medication then you should have discussed with your clinician how to increase on the worst day or when you have breakthrough pain.

SURVIVING THE TOUGH DAYS
  • Rest
  • Drink water
  • Distraction
  • Being kind to yourself aka. have 'treats' that won't make you feel worse. ( It can be difficult not to indulge in self- destructive behaviour when you feel low.)
  •  Regarding everything I am thinking of doing/saying/eating I ask the question "Is this a 'HEALTHY CHOICE'?
Arrggh!

ACTIVELY MANAGE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH  This is the best gift you can give yourself whilst you are dealing with worsened health. Here are some things I use when I feel I am going into a downward spiral.
  • WRITING OUT MY FRUSTRATIONS... (RATHER THAN TAKING THEM OUT ON MY LOVED ONES).
  •  DOODLING,
  • GUIDED MEDITATIONS
  •  SETTING MY ALARM EVERY HOUR SO I ONLY HAVE 1 HOUR TO THINK ABOUT AT A TIME ( a really good plan if anxiety is making you feel overwhelmed).
  • PODCASTS,
  •  AUDIOBOOKS,
  • TRASHY TV
  • MUSIC 
  • PRAYER
  •  BURNING LAVENDER OIL,
  • GUIDED MEDITATIONS,
  • COLOURING BOOKS,
  •  LOOKING OUT OF THE WINDOW AT THE TREES/THE STARS
  • HUGGING A PERSON/PET/CUDDLY TOY
  • TEXTING GOOD FRIENDS WHEN I NEED SOME VIRTUAL SUPPORT
  •  CHECKING IN WITH MY DOCTOR IF I OR MR ELEPHANT THINKS I SHOULD.
  • **
Sadly,I don't have all the answers to stop myself (or anyone else) from getting a flare-up.
 I can't solve my flare-up, but I can survive it...and so can you :-)
 
 
 
THANK YOU FOR READING AND SUPPORTING THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT. DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE YOUR FAVOURITE POSTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA.
 
MAY THE SPOONS BE ALWAYS IN YOUR FAVOUR!
 
 
**NB:IF YOU FEEL DESPERATE OR REALLY NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO, CONTACT THE SAMARITANS  ( YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE SUICIDAL TO PHONE THEM- THEY ARE THERE TO LISTEN TO ANYONE 24/7- AND THEY ALSO PROVIDE AN EMAIL SERVICE IF YOU DON'T FEEL UP TO A PHONE CALL).
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS BLOG, YOU MIGHT FIND THIS ONE INTERESTING:
Then...And Now...What Having ME has taught me.





Comments