"It's Life Jim, but not as we know it."

If I seem a bit grumpy and out of sorts, it is just because I need to be packed away in a cardboard box full of straw, and only woken up in late March.


The energy shift when the clocks go back in October, always, ALWAYS throws me off.  I get up, and take meals at the 'new' time rather than the old. I set watches, clocks etc the night before, and Mr Elephant is banned from using the phrase: " Of course, the REAL time is.."

 And yet the time shift is still the start of the egg- timer being turned over and my energy draining rapidly like sand.... until full daylight and the big yellowy hot thing in the sky, returns in the Spring.


When I say ' Energy' I am referring to a very finite source. In reality my window of opportunity for 'doing' pretty much anything other than sighing heavily, is more peep hole than window. 

 As Mr Spock (nearly) said:
"It's Life Jim, but not as we know it." 



This time of year my sleep and appetite go haywire, my mood plummets, and my body celebrates the season by flagging up new health issues, or making old ones acute. I am reminded of my time working in a nursery with babies age 1-3. Once I had arrived in the morning, I literally couldn't move for tiny people hanging off my clothing, wiping saliva or snot in my hair, banging cars in my face, or literally trying to climb me. I wish my health problems were that small, or that cute!

Just to mix things up, I have also decided to give my TENS machine another run. ( well, it cost me money, and I am still trying to recoup, not to mention getting some use out of the natty little bag I bought for it). The amount of time I have to give to running it/adjusting it/ turning it up or down, getting gooey gel off my hands and not peeing on the live wires, is taking up way more mental energy than I like. I also have to be something of an acrobat to get wires adjusted without running a current through my fingers.

I don't have SAD...but I AM sad... to be missing my life, and a tad scared of the future health-wise. So I am doing what humans do best and not thinking about that too much...and I am trying to be more mindful, and live the S-L-O-W days for what they are, and not what they are not.

And when mindfulness is just too hard.. I watch Nettflix!

THANK YOU FOR READING THE CHRONIC ELEPHANT. PLEASE SHARE ON YOUR FAVOURITE SOCIAL MEDIA OR TO PEOPLE YOU KNOW WHO ARE LIVING WITH CHRONIC ILLNESSES.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I know what you mean, when this cognitive problems make me/or not think...hell! How is that possible it looks so much like a will problem. We know it s not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment